I’ve wondered a few times in the past why Congress and the Senate haven’t done anything about all the illegal activities, lies and deceptions performed by our “elected” leaders…as you’ll see below, the answer keeps becoming more and more obvious. (Updated 9/20/07)
For instance, now we know that part of the reason involves Nebraska State Senator Ernie Chambers reportedly filing suit against God, asking a court to order God and his followers to stop making terrorist threats…honestly, you couldn’t make this up.
The lawsuit (Chambers v. God, PDF) was filed in a Nebraska district court. It contends that God and his followers of all persuasions, “has made and continues to make terroristic threats of grave harm t innumerable persons.” The suit alleges that those threats are credible given God’s history.
The lawsuit resulted from Chambers being angered by another lawsuit that he considers frivolous, and Chambers is trying to make the point that anybody can file a lawsuit against anybody. The lawsuit came about after a federal lawsuit was filed against a judge who recently barred words like “rape” and “victim” from a sexual assault trial.
Chambers accuses God of causing “fearsome floods, egregious earthquakes, horrendous hurricanes, terrifying tornadoes, pestilential plagues, ferocious famines, devastating droughts, genocidal wars, birth defects, and the like.”
It also alleges that God has his chroniclers “disseminate in written form, said admissions, throughout the Earth in order to inspire fear, dread, anxiety, terror and uncertainty, in order to coerce obedience to Defendant’s will.”
Chambers would also like a permanent injunction issued prohibiting God from plagues and terrorist threats. There are indications from the lawsuit that Chambers tried to make God appear by saying “come out, come out, wherever you are” in attempts to serve him. Alas, God didn’t appear. Trying to serve the papers to God should be entertaining if nothing else.
The Wired reporter who wrote the article tried to get comments from Chambers and God, but was unsuccessful in doing so.
Links to more information
Below is some very pathetic but entertaining information on some other Senators and how they handle the war on terror. On a lot of the links below you’ll find video so you can hear the words straight from the horses mouth so to speak as well as some other tidbits:
Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) released third annual most corrupt members of congress (and 2 to watch) report
Democrats fail to prevent Senate condemnation of MoveOn ad article from Raw Story:
Another shining example of your tax dollars hard at work…it’s pathetic that with all the illicit, not to mention inept, dictatorial actions of this presidential Administration, the biggest thing they have to worry about is a freaking political ad! A stupid little ad and our legislators condemn it. BFD. A lot of them really need to pull their heads out. Bush has used the exact same types of ads against Senator Kerry and a few others not too long ago.
“The Senate voted by a wide margin Thursday to condemn a controversial anti-war advertisement accusing Gen. David Petraeus of betraying the country. Only 24 Democrats, including presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, voted against the symbolic resolution.”
Bush bashes Democrats over ‘disgusting’ MoveOn ad article and video from Raw Story:
The last question asked to the president at his press conference today was planted by a presidential butt-kissing (probably paid) reporter purposely to support the needed propaganda at precisely the right time, just so Bush could whine about the ad. Nothing like evading the important questions about his failures in fighting a war started with lies from a man with very little if any credibility left whose lies keep growing.
Nothing like politicizing every little thing you can. Democrats this…democrats that…Democrats want to give more money to children for health care and threatening to veto it because it’s too much…All the billions upon billions of dollars wasted, lost and stolen on one of the most controversial wars in history. I’ll save all the billions of dollars worth of weapons supplied to Iraqis used against several of our troops for later.
“Taking questions from reporters in the White House press room Thursday morning, President Bush seemed more eager to pile on a week-and-a-half’s worth of Republican attacks on a MoveOn.org ad than he was to talk about issues with actual geopolitical impact.”
Countdown Special Comment: The Presidency Of Hypocrisy article and video from Crooks and Liars:
“In light of President Bush’s disgraceful presser today, Keith Olbermann decided to make a Special Comment on tonight’s Countdown and wow, did he make the most of it. Olbermann blasts the president for his cowardly and un-American behavior of pimping General Petraeus as a political hack and hiding behind him to deflect criticism.”
End of Update
- Nebraska Senator Sues God to Stop Terror Threats article from Wired.com
- When the Director of National Intelligence misleads the Senate article and video from Crooks and Liars: Joe Lieberman asked whether the new law, passed shortly before the August recess, played a role in facilitating the arrest of terrorist suspects in Germany. McConnell lied to the Senate. Isn’t lying to Congress or the Senate against the law?
- Keeping Them Honest: Michael Ware on Bush’s Definition of an “Ordinary life” in Iraq article and video from Crooks and Liars: “…if the President means by ordinary lives families essentially living locked up in their homes in almost perpetual darkness, without refrigeration or perhaps constantly struggling for ever more expensive gas to run generators, if he means waiting in their homes wondering if government death squads will drag them off and torture them and execute them, if he means living in sectarian cleansed neighborhoods where people who were your friends have had to flee, if he’s talking about living in communities that are protected by militias, then yeah, life’s returned to ordinary.”
- Senator John Boehner (Republican Minority House Leader): U.S. Soldiers’ Blood A “Small Price” To Pay In Iraq article and video from Crooks and Liars: “Video from the Situation Room on CNN, where Republican House Minority Leader John Boehner makes the stunning statement that the blood of American troops in Iraq is a “small price” to pay for the long term goals in the Middle East.”
- The Daily Show: How Nucking Futs Is Holy Joe Lieberman? article and video (hilarious) from Crooks and Liars
- Say it isn’t so, McHenry! article and video about Senator McHenry’s gay sex scandal article and video from Crooks and Liars
- Jon Stewart Tears Apart Petraeus’ Dog and Pony Show article and video from Crooks and Liars
- Senator Joe Lieberman Begs Petraeus to Invade Iran: Cheney Gloats article and video from Crooks and Liars
- Rep. Chris Shays: We’re There For The Oil article and video from Crooks and Liars
- Keith Olbermann’s Top 9/11 Story: The Promotion Of Failure in Bush Admistration article and video from Crooks and Liars: “In this clip, he runs down the astonishing and outrageous list of Bush administration lackeys who, instead of being demoted or fired for their failures surrounding the September 11th attacks and the subsequent invasion and occupation of Iraq, were promoted and awarded medals for those failures. Keith ends the segment with the two main figures who haunt the memory of 9/11 — George Bush and Osama bin Laden.”
- Howie Kurtz: FOX is entitled to cheerlead for Bush, misinform article and video from Crooks and Liars
- Debat Debacle: The French Defense “Expert” Who Snookered Washington article from Wired.com
- How Alexis Debat managed to cheat everyone in Washington article from Rue89
- Ann Coulter on FOX News video from FoxAttacks.com: It’s Good for Wall Street If We Bomb Iran: Somewhere, there is a State Mental Facility missing a patient.
- Federal Prosecutor Arrested In Child Sex Sting article from WDIV Detroit: How an assistant 53-year-old U.S. Attorney from Florida traveled to Detroit to have sex with a 5-year-old girl.
- Carter says Gore won 2000 election article from Raw Story
- Yes, Gore did win article from Citizens for Legitimate Government
- When five voted for millions article from the St. Petersburg Times Online: How the Supreme Court gave the 2000 presidency to George Bush.
- When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty! speech article and video from Crooks and Liars
- Billions over Baghdad: Politics and Power article from Vanity Fair: $9 billion in cash shipped on pallets to Iraq is unaccounted for by the Bush Administration.
- Federal agencies flunk their audits article from Yahoo! News
- DemocracyRising.US – the Bush Family’s War Profiteering article
Back to Bill’s Blog | Bill’s Links and More